General Admissions Information
Freshmen as well as transfer students may be admitted directly into the School of Engineering and EECS Department. All admissions to the EECS Department, for both in-state and out-of-state students, are selective. Applications are judged on several factors including, but not limited to, high school record, scores on national tests, academic record at college or university level, and trend of grades. Students should take standard college-preparatory curriculum in high school, including courses in chemistry, economics, English, physics, and mathematics (through trigonometry).Explore: Admissions Application - Degree Requirements
To be considered for admission, first-year students must meet or exceed the following minimum standards:
- Earn at least a 3.0 grade-point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Graduate in the top half of your class from an accredited high school or the equivalent.
- Score 28 or higher on the mathematics portion of the ACT exam (or be otherwise eligible to take Math 121) to be directly admitted into the EECS Department.
Important: Simply meeting these requirements will not guarantee admission to EECS.
Transfer Student Admissions
Applications from all transfer students, whether from other institutions or from within KU, are evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Have a grade-point average above 2.5 in college courses.
- Submit mathematics ACT or SAT scores or proof of competence in calculus (C or higher).