Primary Research Interests
- Radar Remote Sensing of Vegetation
- Propagation and Scattering in Random Media
- Ground-Penetrating Radar
- Radar Signal Processing
- Applications of Information and Estimation Theory in Remote Sensing
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan, 1995
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Southern Methodist University, 1987
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Missouri, 1983
- Electronic Circuits
- Microwave Engineering
- Radio and Radar Systems
- Radar remote sensing
- Propagation and scattering of electromagnetic waves in random media
- Polarimetrics, interferometric and super-resolution radar
- Applications of estimation theory to target parameter retrieval
- Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory
- Information and Telecommunications Technology Center
- IEEE Senior Member
J. Stiles and V. Sinha, “Optimal Space-Time Transmit Signals for Multi-Mode Radar” in Principles of Waveform Diversity & Design, eds. M. Wicks, E. Mokole, S.D. Blunt, V. Amuso, and R. Schneible, SciTech Publishing, 2010.
S.D. Blunt and J.M. Stiles, “Chapter B-I-4: Intra-Pulse Radar-Embedded Communications,” in Principles of Waveform Diversity & Design, eds. M. Wicks, E. Mokole, S.D. Blunt, V. Amuso, and R. Schneible, SciTech Publishing, 2010.
1. Blunt, Shannon D.; Yatham, Padmaja; Stiles, James; , "Intrapulse Radar-Embedded Communications," Aerospace and Electronic Systems, IEEE Transactions on , vol.46, no.3, pp.1185-1200, July 2010.
2. F. P. Soto, J.M. Stiles, and A. Agah. (2009). Application of genetic algorithms to transmit code problem of synthetic aperture radar. Journal of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 18, No. 1-2, 102-122.
3. N. A. Goodman and J. M. Stiles, “On Clutter Rank Observed by Arbitrary Arrays,” IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 178 – 186, Jan. 2007.
4. Guo, X., K.P. Price and J.M. Stiles. “Grasslands Discriminant Analysis Using Landsat TM Multitemporal Data,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, vol. 69, no. 11, pp. 1255-1262, Nov. 2003 .
5. N. Goodman and J.M. Stiles, “Resolution and Synthetic Aperture Characterization of Sparse Radar Arrays”, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronics Systems, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 921-935, July, 2003.
6. Price, K.P., X. Guo, and J.M. Stiles, “Comparison of Landsat TM and ERS-2 SAR data for discriminating among grassland types in eastern Kansas,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, vol. 37, pp. 157-171, Dec. 2002.
7. K.P. Price, X. Guo and J.M. Stiles, “Optimal Landsat TM band combinations and vegetation indices for discrimination of six grassland types in eastern Kansas,” International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol. 23, no. 23, pp. 5031-5042, Dec. 2002.
8. J.M. Stiles, A. Apte, and B. Beh, “A group theoretic analysis of symmetric target scattering with application to landmine detection,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 40, pp. 1802-1814, Aug. 2002.
9. N. Goodman, S. C. Lin, D. Rajakrishna, J.M. Stiles, “Processing of multiple receiver, spaceborne arrays for wide-area SAR,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 40, pp. 841-852, Apr. 2002.
10. S. Gogineni, D. Tammana, D. Braaten, C. Leuschen, T. Akins, J. Legarsky, P. Kanagaratnam, J. M. Stiles, C. Allen, and K. Jezek, “Coherent radar ice thickness measurements over the Greenland ice sheet,” Journal of Geophysical Research, vol. 106, no. D24, pp. 33761-33772, 2001
11. Guo, X., K.P. Price, and J.M. Stiles, “Biophysical and spectral characteristics of cool and warm-season grasslands under three land management practices in eastern Kansas,” Natural Resources Research, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 321-331, 2000.
12. Lohmeier, S. P., J.M. Stiles, C. T. Allen, P. Gogineni, and R. K. Moore, "The Radar Systems and Remote Sensing Laboratory (RSL) at the University of Kansas," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Newsletter, Issue #113, pp. 11-16, March 2000
13. X. Guo, K.P. Price and J.M. Stiles, “Modeling biophysical factors for grasslands in eastern Kansas using Landsat TM data,” Transactions of the Kansas Academy of Science, vol. 103, no. 3-4, pp. 122-138, 2000.
14. J.M. Stiles, and K. Sarabandi, “Electromagnetic scattering from grassland: Part 1, A fully phase coherent scattering model,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 38, pp. 339-348, Jan 2000.
14. J.M. Stiles, K. Sarabandi, and F. T. Ulaby, “Electromagnetic scattering from grassland: Part 2, Measured and modeled results,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 38, pp. 349-356, Jan 2000.
15. J.M. Stiles and K. Sarabandi, “A scattering model for thin dielectric cylinders of arbitrary cross-section and electrical length,” IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 4, pp. 260-266, Feb. 1996.
16. K. Sarabandi, L.E. Pierce, M.C. Dobson, F.T. Ulaby, J.M. Stiles, T.C. Chiu, R. De Roo, R. Hartika, A. Zambetti, and A. Freeman, “Polarimetric calibration of SIR-C using point and distributed targets,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 33, pp. 858-866, July 1995.
17. J.M. Stiles, K. Sarabandi, and F.T. Ulaby, “Microwave scattering model for grass blade structures,” IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, vol. 31, pp. 1051-1059, Sept. 1993.
Selected Awards & Honors
- Harry Talley Excellence in Teaching Award, KU EECS department, 2000
- Excellence in Teaching Award, KU Center for Teaching Excellence, 2000
- Miller Professional Development Award for Distinguished Research, KU School of Engineering, 2001
- 2002 Interactive Session Prize Paper Award, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society, 2002