Primary Research Interests
- Radar and Video Analysis and Visualization
- Image and Video Analysis (medical, radar, optical, infrared, WAMI, FMV, 3D
- Medical Image and Radar Video Databases
- Software Engineering, Software Project Management, and Teaching Methods
- RF Technology
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Maryland, 2008
- M.S. in Computer Science, University of Maryland, 2005
- M.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Physics, MIT, 2000
- B.S. Physics, Caltech, 1996
Books and Major International Reports
- Radar Micro-Doppler Signatures - Processing and Applications edited by Victor Chen, David Tahmoush, and William Miceli. IET Publishing 2014. ISBN: 978-1-84919-716-8. There is a growing interest in how to use radar micro-Doppler signatures in real world applications. This book introduces basic concepts, principles, and theoretical analysis on the micro-Doppler effect in radar and pulls together the latest research on the processing and application of radar micro-Doppler signatures.
- RTO-TR-SET-113 Recognition of Dynamic and Static Targets in Complex Environments Using MMW and Other RF Sensors, Editor, http://www.rta.nato.int/pubs/rdp.asp?RDP=RTO-TR-SET-113, July 2010.
- RTO-TR-SET-163 Aspects of Multi-Parameter Radar ATR in Complex Environments, http://www.rta.nato.int/pubs/rdp.asp?RDP=RTO-TR-SET-163, July 2015.
Journals, Book Chapters, and Major Reports
- David Tahmoush, Fauzia Ahmad, Anthony Martone, Graeme Smith, and Zachary Cammenga, “Range-Doppler Processing for Human Motion Detection and Classification” book chapter 6 in Radar for In-Door Monitoring: Detection, Classification, and Assessment edited by Moeness Amin, 2017
- R.G. Raj, D.W. Baden, R.D. Lipps, R.W. Jansen, R. Madden, R.S. DeOcampo, M.A. Sletten, and D. Tahmoush, “Automatic Target Recognition of Small Craft Using Multichannel Imaging Radar” NRL Review, 2017
- Christopher T. Rodenbeck, Thomas J. Pizzillo Thomas Apker, Brian Tierney, David F. Crouse, Raghu Raj, David Tahmoush, “Millimeter-Wave Sensing for Autonomy: Tech Assessment and Rapid Demonstration of Automotive Radar Technology for Small UAVs” NRL Report, 2016
- D. Tahmoush, “Review of Micro-Doppler Signatures.” IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, 2015.
- D. Tahmoush, “Current Research in Micro-Doppler, Editorial for the Special Issue on Micro-Doppler” IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, 2015.
- D. Tahmoush, “Small Boat and Smuggling Activity Recognition” chapter in Aspects of Multi-Parameter Radar ATR in Complex Environments, NATO RTO-TR-SET-163, July 2015.
- V. Chen, D. Tahmoush, and W. Miceli, “Micro-Doppler Signatures - Review, Challenges and Perspectives”, book chapter in Radar Micro-Doppler Signatures - Processing and Applications edited by Victor Chen, David Tahmoush, and William Miceli. IET Publishing 2014.
- V. Chen, D. Tahmoush, “Micro-Doppler Signatures of Small Boats” book chapter in Radar Micro-Doppler Signatures - Processing and Applications edited by Victor Chen, David Tahmoush, and William Miceli. IET Publishing 2014.
- D. Tahmoush and J. Silvious, Radar Measurement of Human Polarimetric Micro-Doppler. Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2013.
- Dave Tahmoush and Jerry Silvious, Gait Variations in Human Micro-Doppler, International Journal of Electronics and Telecommunications (JET), vol. 57, pp 23-8, ISSN 0867-6747, Index 363189, 2011.
- D. Tahmoush, Image Similarity to Improve the Classification and Retrieval of Breast Cancer Images, Journal of Algorithms Special Issue: Machine Learning for Medical Imaging, 2010.
- D. Tahmoush, Micro-Doppler and Dismount Detection, chapter in Recognition of Dynamic and Static Targets in Complex Environments Using MMW and Other RF Sensors, NATO RTO-TR-SET-113, July 2010.
- Tanaka, G. L., Ng, D. W., Chen, C., Tahmoush, D., & Ma, D. (2017). U.S. Patent No. 9,615,063. Method and apparatus for visual monitoring. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Selected Awards & Honors
- 3D ISAR 2018-2021 (PI, $1.9M)
- EBR radar 2018-2021 (co-PI, $2.8M)
- DARC radar 2016-2018 (co-PI, $1.2M of $2M)
- Small UAV Detection in Urban Environments 2016-2020 (co-PI $0.8M of $3.2M)
- Challenge Problem award “Applying Textual Action Attributes to Improve Human Activity Recognition” 2015-17 ($220K/year)
- Robotics CTA award “Robotic Situational Awareness Using Depth Sensors and Video” 2015-16 ($370K)
- Robotics CTA award “Concept classifiers for human activity recognition” 2013-14 ($155K)
- Cybersecurity Fellowship (University of Maryland University College) 2013-2014 ($25K)
- Top Young Radar Engineers from IDGA Military Radar Summit 2012
- Terraharvest grant 2011 ($60K)
- Army Superior Unit Award 2009, Army on the Spot Award 2010, 2012
- Fulbright Scholar 2008, EAPSI fellowship 2008 (Korea)
- Grant from Microsoft Research - Querying Breast Cancer Image Databases 2005 ($50K)
- National Science Foundation Grants EIA-00-91474 and CCF-0515241
- Graduate Student Teaching Award for 2007
- Best student paper in Advanced PACS-based Imaging Informatics at SPIE Medical Imaging