FIRST STEPS AFTER ADMISSION
- Respond to your Offer of Admission in collegenet.
- Create your KU Online Account through Computing Services. You will need your letter of admission, which contains your ID number, to do so. Once you have an e-mail/on-line account, KU will be able to contact you about important events such as orientation and you will use this account throughout your academic career to update your personal information, create your online plan of study, enroll, and pay student fees.
- Orientation takes place 2-3 days prior to the first day of class each semester.
- orientation you will be given an “Enrollment Planning” form and have the opportunity to meet with faculty who will assist you in the correct courses to enroll in your first semester. (You will not have an assigned advisor at this time. You will be able to make this choice once you are familiar with faculty and their research interests.)
ADVISING AND PLAN OF STUDY
- During your first semester at KU you will choose your academic advisor and work closely with them to develop an appropriate plan of study for your degree program and academic and research interests and choose the members that will serve on your committee. The primary purpose of the plan of study is to list the specific classes you intend to take to meet your degree requirements. It is important to develop a plan of study with your faculty advisor early in your graduate program so you can make the most effective use of your time as a graduate student.
- All EECS graduate students are required to have a complete and approved plan of study by the beginning of your second semester.
- You will be able to enroll after the New Graduate Student Orientation. If circumstances require that you enroll at an earlier time, you should contact the EECS Graduate Office and request early enrollment.
- A list of the available classes for the current semester can be found at the KU Schedule of Classes.
- Go to Enroll and Pay to enroll in classes. Make sure you update your information and clear any holds you might have in the system. (If you are an international student, you must check in with International Student and Scholar Services as well as Watkins Health Center before you will be allowed to enroll. If your first language is not English, you must check in with the Applied English Center (AEC) as well).
- Information about tuition and fees can be found on the website of the KU Registrar's Office.
- If you have additional questions, please visit the New Student Enrollment Information page or contact the EECS Graduate Office.